BEING OPENING REMARK BY THE DIRECTOR ACETEL NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA (NOUN), PROFESSOR GRACE JOKTHAN AT THE OPENING CEREMONY OF THE 4TH TRAINING WORKSHOP OF EXPERTS IN DIGITAL EDUCATION, HOSTED BY NOUN AFRICA CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE ON TECHNOLOGY ENHANCED LEARNING (ACETEL), ON 9th -12th MAY, 2022
· The Vice Chancellor NOUN – Prof. Olufemi Peters
· The Sec. General AAU - Prof. Olusola B. Oyewole
· Prog. Manager Africa Higher Education Centers of Excellence for Development Impact · Dr Sylvia Mkandawire
· Technical experts from École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland (EPFL)- Lisa Myers and Vergini Torrens
· The NUC ACE Impact Coordinator – Dr. Joshua Attah
· The Management staff of NOUN
· Other esteemed staff of AAU Present
· Distinguished Guest
· Members of the Press
· Ladies and Gentle Men
Good morning and a very warm welcome to you to Abuja, Nigeria and the National Open University of Nigeria to this 4- day workshop training of experts in digital education starting today the 9th May, 2022. Organized by the world bank, AAU, EPFL and ACETEL
This training is part of a series of trainings which commenced in Sept. 2021 for ACE Centres that won the C-CODE aimed at building capacities of 6 ACEs in West Africa (Benin, Burkina Faso, Ghana and Nigeria ) through the ACE for Development Impact to promote the sustainable integration of digital tools and technologies in teaching and learning, as a way of strengthen its quality as well as the competencies of graduates.
The establishment of the Centers of Competence in Digital Education could not have come at a better time particularly for ACETEL and the NOUN whose mandate is to provide access to technology enabled learning that is qualitative and cost effective. The C-CoDE initiative has the potential to address instructional gaps in teaching and learning as well as provide infrastructural facilities to support the ongoing institution’s digital transformation drive to serve diverse categories of learners within its learning space through:
· Providing the much-needed state-of-the-art studio facilities for the production of quality multimedia content;
· Enabling the ACEs to serve as hubs for the training of academic tutors on effective strategies, pedagogies, and methodologies in online teaching and learning thereby serving as models for good online delivery practices in the country and subregion
· providing trained technical staff to operate and maintain ICT infrastructure required for sustainable digital transformation.
· The ACEs becoming repositories of electronic courseware facilities which can be shared with other institutions via the creative commons license.
Digitally transformed educational institutions can collaborate better within and between themselves, deliver learning in a more personalised manner, boost employee innovation and productivity, and gain insights from data in a more precise and transparent way, all of which contribute to the organisation’s growth and impact
At the institutional level, the C-CoDE is envisioned to become the hub for multimedia production that will facilitate the DLCMS’s mandate on online course development and delivery process, through strengthening the integration of multimedia elements in the instructional content. Thus, it will enable the institution to meet its strategic goal of improving student satisfaction by enhancing their learning experiences and outcomes. At the national and continental level, the Centers will have the capacity to provide leadership in the training of a critical mass of human resources for digital education
I want to appreciate the Vice Chancellor and Management of NOUN for there concent and support for the university to host this important regional training and for the World bank and AAU to partner with ACETEL in this regard.
Once again, I feel honoured and humbled to welcome you all and encourage all participants to utilize this great opportunity to learn as we look up to you being digital experts to champion the much needed educational digital transformation occasioned by the needs of future workplace and accelerated by COVID-19.
I welcome you to NOUN , to Abuja and Nigeria